Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Summer Adventure Book

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
#24 Make a Bouquet

Summer is here and we have one bored 7-year old.  Jack and Zoe have day care through the summer, but Athena is out of school - no more uniforms, no more schedules, no more homework...totally care free!  She wakes after her siblings are already dressed, fed and on their way.  Bed headed and groggy she'll flip on a program, collapse on the couch and eventually make her way to the breakfast table.

Even though her school is out, I'm still working, so unfortunately our mornings can't be filled with one on one special mommy-daughter outings as much as I would like them to be.  I need her to find quiet, independent activities and to turn that television down please.  Luckily, her art camp, the only camp we can afford this summer, will start in two weeks and then her mornings will be full of painting and drawing and sculpting on the University campus.  Until then we have to make do.

But I believe in boredom, and usually about mid-morning I make her turn off the television and do something else.

Not really sure what to do at first, Athena has come up with a "To Do" list for summer (um...who is this child).  A "summer bucket list" - before summer bites the dust.  She's up to 44 things she wants to do and adds more each day.  Each one has a number and is written neatly on the top of a blank journal page. 

She is taking her journal, her Summer Adventure Book, everywhere with her and after looking it over for a bit in the morning she'll say "Mom, I know what I'm going to do today!" and then try to accomplish one or more things on her list.  The plan is to write about each one, pasting pictures if there are any.  With only 70 days left of summer vacation (I counted) she's now got quite alot to fill up her time.

So far, she has:
Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
#29 Fly a Kite


Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
#18 Make Dinner
Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
# 33 Have a Princess Dance Party
I'm looking forwarding to posting about "#1 Go horseback riding" and "#2 Camp in the backyard" and "#42 Swim in Baba's pool" and many, many others. Guess someone will soon be taking over the blog.  Good thing too, seeing as I am such an unreliable manager (9 posts so far in 2012...ugh!).

*****

And because I have been such a poor steward of the blog lately, every time I post a new post I am going write a pre-dated post to fill in the gaps (uh, like Christmas and Thanksgiving, Easter and Halloween).  I'll  put a link on the bottom of the new post for anyone who wants to go back in time with me.   Even though I lost my "voice" lately, this is such an important record for our family, we refer to it all the time...and I don't want this year's blog book to be 12 pages long!

First pre-dated post is ... Jack and Lil' Leo, a post I started weeks ago but only just completed.

2 comments:

Stu said...

What an amazing little creative spirit. Tell Athena we will knock a few of those off her list next weekend!

Mormor Helene said...

Tell Athena that when you are bored, the mind has a change to slow down, and the REALLY great creative juices start to flow!

I am sure she will come up with a fab list.....