Thursday, July 12, 2012

Beat the Heat


Our week started with this.

An ominous weather report AND a little seven year old pouring over her birthday book (a book of drawings and notes from all her friends in first grade) and sobbing:  "I. Miss. My. Friends!!" while listening to sad songs on her CD player.  Yah, that happened.

Splash!
So what's a Mom without a pool to do?  Well, I guess schedule a play date with our first grade classmates at a local splash park.  So, I sent a quick evite to both first grade classes and 8 friends responded plus little siblings and visiting cousins making it a healthy expected 25 total attendees and we had ourselves an impromptu "Summer Party" - (which just happens to be #4 on Athena's Summer Adventure List).
We acquired a couple of tables under the shelter to keep our shared fruit, cookies, gatorade and juice boxes in the shade.  Each Mom brought lawn chairs, blankets, unbrellas and shelters which we combined to make our "Tent City."  And we filled a cooler full of ice cream sandwiches, popsicles and ice cream cups to enjoy throughout the afternoon.  Did you know that a block of dry ice will keep your ice chest as cold as a freezer for hours on end?  I did not, but now I do.
 The little siblings and proud, soon-to-be-kindergartners gathered for a photo.

 We had bubbles,

and sidewalk chalk that quickly turned into body art,

and dollar store sprayers,

and lots of wet water spray toys.

Jack was right in the thick of things and looked just like a little boy.

It was a great way to "beat the heat," reconnect with old friends we were missing...

 and make this little seven year old (and her siblings) very, very happy.

2 comments:

Stu said...

Aww, that was sweet. You are such an awesome event planner.

Mormor Helene said...

Ditto! What a great way to spend the day with friends!! Love to all.