Sunday, August 26, 2007

Being an Uncle has its pros and... well only pros.

Hello to those who may not know me, but my name is Stu, the wonderfully hilarious/annoying brother of Mama Julie and Auntie Mimi. I also respond to Unca, Tucky and a long drawn out Stuuuuuuuuuuu!

While I am thrilled to return to see my wonderful little nieces every chance I get, which never seems to be enough. I always feel the connection grows stronger with each visit. I can foresee 20 years down the road when I look back upon these days as magical years of learning, adventure and of many, many photos. But it will also be the time that began a much more cherished relationship, one of the few you have with an individual from Day One.

Today, we had a marvelous day of playing with babies. First there was much to catch up with Athena is the greatest little entertainer these days with her songs and pet names for everyone. She was fascinated with the giant bubble maker and deeply immersed in an intense game of hide and seek. Every time she found Mimi or Dad she simply hid in the same place they currently were and told them to go count elsewhere.

Little Zoe had quite a busy day as I was determined to get her walking by the end of it. She was all smiles when she got to walk barefoot across the cool grass and picked up a pace that was close to a run. I barely held her hands for balance as she was doing the majority of the walking. She constantly chased after her bipedal sister making lots of her happy dinosaur sounds. I could have done that for hours since she was so close to doing it on her own, but alas it was time to sit down to a Greek meal of souvlaki, tzatziki, greek salad and a delicious strawberry sponge cake to top it off. Dinner was followed by more playing with kids, because honestly we've forgotten how to engage each other like adults at this point.

Not that I consider it a bad thing, but I notice myself getting into Uncle Mode even when I'm not around Athena and Zoe. I get a bit proud when I "accidentally" slip a photo of my nieces into a batch of my crazy summer photos when talking with friends, I make silly faces at other people's kids on the subway when the parents aren't looking, I walk into toy stores when I get the chance and relish the little updates I get from Mimi at work as we go baby crazy regardless of looking "cool" in the face of her employees.

But tonight was a bit different, normally I am the one to play and to entertain Athena, but rarely get chosen for certain parental duties. While it may not be the greatest of tasks Athena asked to be put to bed by not Mama, not Mimi, not Mormor, but Uncle Stu. Quite a compliment considering the competition and I took her to her room and kept her on my shoulder for some time making up my own version of a lullaby, which I think was really a combination of Johann Bach and the theme song for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. She finally laid down and closed her eyes, seemingly lost among her jamboree of blankets, animals and pillows. I left the room feeling as if I had added another notch to my Uncle belt and one more chapter closed in the magical relationship that will only amaze me as it grows in future years.

Thank you for reading and good night,

Uncle Stu

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Alright! Fine!
I guess you can be Zoe's Godfather.