Friday, December 7, 2007

Stupid Gingerbread House!

Tragedy occurred today when the roof of a gingerbread house collapsed. The cause of the collapse is as yet unknown, but officials suspect a faulty foundation and possibly the wrong consistency of frosting. No gingerbread men were hurt in the accident.

This doesn't exactly look like the picture on the box. Perhaps I should have read the directions more carefully. An hour and a half spent on this disaster, and all we accomplished was a child hyped up from licking the frosting and eating gumdrops, a thin coating of gooey powdered sugar everywhere and a very frustrated Mommy. It wasn't even much fun for Athena because it was so precarious I wouldn't let her touch it for the first hour. Then I gave up and let her decorate as she saw fit, still trying to attach the roof as she stuck little sugary choking hazards all over. When she was upstairs playing in her room, I threw the whole thing away. When she came downstairs she said "Mommy, I want to build the gingerbread house again!" How long do you think until she stops asking about it?

6 comments:

Jessica said...

We did that house last year and it took about 4-5 hands to get that roof on. You would think they would make it easier, but it is a yummy house.

Stu said...

When I was little they gave us some glue to hold the certain difficult pieces together well, because generally the gingerbread was or would be inedible after its time on display. In hindsight, I think that was a very poor choice of the teachers. :D

Kyla said...

My parents handle that sort of thing! It is a nice grandparent activity...and then I don't have to mess with it! LOL.

John, Shannon, Broderick, Camden, and Adalynn said...

Thank you for the sweet comment.

We attempted the Halloween version of the house for a birthday party it was a huge flop-so I feel your pain!

Junie's Blog said...

What a catastrophe!! I'm glad no one was hurt! lol

~aj~ said...

We're going to attempt a gingerbread house tomorrow. Quite honestly, I'd be impressed if ours turned out that well. :)