Settle yourself down with a nice cup of coffee or tea, this is going to be a long one.
We've returned from our trip to New York and Quebec and between sorting piles of laundry and an NEA grant deadline and preparing for yet another trip this weekend, I've downloaded all 568 pictures from my camera and have narrowed it to a mere 30:
CURLS LOST
CELEBRATIONS
RAIN
MORE CELEBRATIONS
Back in the country, a birthday was commemorated. I'm not saying which one and whose it was, but these guys were there - the black polo back up singers. Mimi and Yiayia threw a fun BBQ birthday party with so many wonderful friends...
and Mimi...

and Baba...

and even Michael Riley (!?)

PICNIC
The next day we had a picnic on the lawns of an historic mansion and enjoyed a play at the Shakespeare Festival where I work. Part of the trip was me taking the opportunity to reconnect with the theater company as its based in New York and I telecommute from California. Throughout the week, I was able to attend a reception, a couple of meetings and take people out for coffee. It's a lovely Festival and my brief visit reinvigorated my work.
Athena and Zoe came for the picnic, but did not stay for the performance of Pericles, just a little bit too young.
and "hah-ing" on our favorite family members.
And some frozen popsicles.
Athena finally warmed up to the lovely Jen.

Athena and Zoe got to spend quite a bit of time with some of their second cousins. Here are the six girls, the gang, all born within five years of each other. Three spoke only English, two spoke only French with one bilingual translator. But language doesn't really matter when you play with your cousins.
LES DUDES
The little Dude's French Canadian counterpart is Alexis, my cousin Steve's new born babe. Only 2 and half months old and his roles of chub rival John Patrick's.
LA CORVETTE
My Uncle Jean is the original owner of a mint condition 1972 Corvette Stingray. I remember him gently washing it on my Aunt Carole's driveway when I was a kid and it is still exactly the same.
My Aunt Carole and the little Dude had a special thing going. He almost didn't return to the States with us as she was plotting to keep him, and I don't think he would have minded one bit.
My favorite cousin is named Patrick. My father is his godfather and apparently he was named after my father. So his full name is John Patrick, which I never knew before but think its awfully cool. So, here are our two John Patricks.
It was truly wonderful to watch my cousins, who I remember so clearly as children, all grown up with kids of their own.
Throughout the whole trip, Athena was in the thick of the action...
This is my little shark.
And my little fish.
And, this a very brief glimpse of all that we did on our vacation. The girls had an amazing time swimming and playing and fell exhausted into their beds every night. For me, it was magical to watch my children experiencing what is a significant part of my history and childhood, and see everything fresh through their eyes.
Upon our return from Quebec, we packed up and headed for home. The scene at the airport was tragic. Athena clung to her Yiayia and cried for "just one more kiss" all the way to the gate. We miss you everyday, Mom, and love you so much.
John Patrick loves his Yiayia.
and a Slip N' Slide...
Which was super fun although Chris cracked his ribs and
is still in constant pain two weeks after this photo was taken.
and Fairy tattoos...
And Unca Stu's girlfriend Jen...
Who we like alot although it took some convincing
for the incredibly possessive little girls in our family.
and this little guy...
is still in constant pain two weeks after this photo was taken.
and Fairy tattoos...
Who we like alot although it took some convincingfor the incredibly possessive little girls in our family.
and this little guy...
and Baba...

and even Michael Riley (!?)

PICNIC
The next day we had a picnic on the lawns of an historic mansion and enjoyed a play at the Shakespeare Festival where I work. Part of the trip was me taking the opportunity to reconnect with the theater company as its based in New York and I telecommute from California. Throughout the week, I was able to attend a reception, a couple of meetings and take people out for coffee. It's a lovely Festival and my brief visit reinvigorated my work.Athena and Zoe came for the picnic, but did not stay for the performance of Pericles, just a little bit too young.
But, they enjoyed racing around the great lawn with Baba,

The next day, Athena got her first pedicure, which she took verrry seriously. Zoe wasn't having any strange lady touching her feet and preferred to watch from Mimi's lap.
LES GIRLSQUEBEC
After a fun and productive, albeit damp, week in New York, Chris flew back to California and YiaYia, Mimi and I packed up the kids and drove to Quebec to see our family. The 11-hour drive was awful but spending time with my aunts, uncles and cousins made it well worth the trip. It's a trip we made every year, either summer or Christmas, when Mimi and I were children and it's always wonderful to be surrounded by our crazy French Canadian family.
Athena and Zoe got to spend quite a bit of time with some of their second cousins. Here are the six girls, the gang, all born within five years of each other. Three spoke only English, two spoke only French with one bilingual translator. But language doesn't really matter when you play with your cousins.LES DUDES
The little Dude's French Canadian counterpart is Alexis, my cousin Steve's new born babe. Only 2 and half months old and his roles of chub rival John Patrick's.LA CORVETTE
My Uncle Jean is the original owner of a mint condition 1972 Corvette Stingray. I remember him gently washing it on my Aunt Carole's driveway when I was a kid and it is still exactly the same.MON BEBE D'AMOUR
My Aunt Carole and the little Dude had a special thing going. He almost didn't return to the States with us as she was plotting to keep him, and I don't think he would have minded one bit.LES DEUX
MES COUSINS
It was truly wonderful to watch my cousins, who I remember so clearly as children, all grown up with kids of their own.
This is my little shark.
And my little fish.
And, this a very brief glimpse of all that we did on our vacation. The girls had an amazing time swimming and playing and fell exhausted into their beds every night. For me, it was magical to watch my children experiencing what is a significant part of my history and childhood, and see everything fresh through their eyes.Upon our return from Quebec, we packed up and headed for home. The scene at the airport was tragic. Athena clung to her Yiayia and cried for "just one more kiss" all the way to the gate. We miss you everyday, Mom, and love you so much.
John Patrick loves his Yiayia.



7 comments:
Sounds awesome! I'm not a bit envious of all the actual travel time...in the plane and then 11 hours to Canada but it looks like you all very much enjoyed yourselves.
Sounds awesome! I'm not a bit envious of all the actual travel time...in the plane and then 11 hours to Canada but it looks like you all very much enjoyed yourselves.
what a fun trip! That is so special that your girls get to experience fun vacations like these where they are surrounded by friends and family!
That sounds like a very special trip!!
Zoe, I "hah" on you. And I don't think I've ever seen anyone quite as uncomfortable holding a baby as Riley. Hope you feel better Chris, the trials and tribulations of being a father.
Looks like a wonderful trip! Grea pictures :)
You weren't kidding...this rivaled some of my super long posts!
And there were so many great photos and stories in this post. I just loved it.
Your family just seems WONDERFUL, Julie. I feel like I would love to spend a couple of weeks with them too! Glad you had such a great vacation!
Post a Comment