Saturday, September 19, 2009

First Soccer Game

Not only was it Athena's first soccer game but also our first soccer game as a family and man, we saw some veteran soccer families today who made us feel like total freshmen. One family brought a full on canopy, cooler and chairs for six and then settled in like they were camping.

The game was so much fun but I have no idea who won. I use the word "game" loosely, because its really just a pack of four year old surrounding a little ball and slowly inching it from one side of the field to the other. Every now and then a whistle is blown, seemingly randomly, and the coaches take the ball, move the players around but it becomes a kicking cluster of little people almost immediately again.

And yet, the mother next to me was screaming "Defense! Defense!" I wanted to turn to her and ask if she was watching the same thing I was because the players I saw were kicking the ball into their own goals.

There was only one time that Athena really had the ball. Moments later it was out of her reach and this happened. See the lip?
Not quite tears but a definite sulkiness. She complained to us at the next water break that no one was "letting" her have the ball and when was it going to be her turn? It never did get to be her turn with the ball which led to a disenchantment with the whole thing. She never got back into the pack after that and just hung around the sidelines.

So, Coach made her the goalie!
Which she liked as long as she didn't have to do anything or run anymore. It was hot, she was tired and hadn't had a very good breakfast which I think contributed to her blah attitude. We woke up late so I just gave her a cereal bar and some juice and sent her out the door. I don't think that was enough energy to sustain her the whole game besides getting a little bit bored.

She said she really liked it though and can't wait to do it again.

Zoe took more pictures.
Chris had the most fun and is embracing this dawn of
Saturday morning sports with great enthusiasm.
He's even planning some trips to the park to help
Athena "get her head in the game."
When we got home, the Dude showed us how easy it is
to crawl across the floor, like he's been doing it all along.
It's official - he's mobile!

8 comments:

baba said...

Best blog ever!
Nobody expresses the joys of parenthood better than you.

mom said...

Agreeing with baba.Waiting for the 2nd blog book from Uncle Stu.....
Maybe he's so much in "love" we are forgotten...Just a joke.
I wish I were closer, I look forward to your blog everyday, sometimes I check 2 to 3 times a day to see if you wrote something new. I'll see you guys soon, by that time the dude will probably be walking. Keep sending blogs.
much love

Mormor Helene said...

Congratulations to all the new achievements! Soccer, photography and crawling!!

See Athena on the field sure brings back lots of memories! Chasing butterflies, coming to the side line for a hug and just general bunchball! lol I am sure Athena will get the hang of it with a bit of coaching from Chris!

And those parents on the sideline......remember those too! lol

Kyla said...

Early sports are often so boring for the kids playing them! LOL.

Look at JP go!

Ah Katie said...

Look at all the achievements in this post: Athena playing soccer with her HAIR TIED BACK, Chris with a child old enough to play sports (oh the torture of waiting), Zoe with some great photo skills, and The Dude on the move! And it's all because of you Julie! You're my hero!!

Kristin said...

Awwwww...I can't believe they used goalies at this age. Soccer at this age is a hoot, can't believe you had such intense parents on the side lines with you. Good grief!

When I saw that picture of John Patrick the other day it didn't occur to me that he was CRAWLING! Way to go and Eek! at the same time.

Stu said...

Congrats on all the fun news!

And Yiayia, the 2nd book is awaiting it's launch party. :)

John, Shannon, Broderick, Camden, and Adalynn said...

love the pouty face!!! I remember the days of my son crying about the other players "not sharing"...don't worry, they learn fast-the next year he was stealing the ball from everyone and scoring in whatever goal was closest (regardless of which one he was supposed to). He was so proud of himself!!!!