Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Brown walls white trim

For the last two weeks or so I have been agonizing over what color to paint the walls in our great room. They were a Barney purple (as purple and purple can get) and I envisioned a lovely Cafe O'Lait color. Yet after multiple trips to Home Depot, spending over $55 for at least seven different testers of color, I was still totally indecisive and near tears.

The problem is the kitchen has a medium wood grain cabinet and very light counter tops. So I was having a problem matching a coffee color to this without it all looking like one big beige blob. I went a final time with Chris I picked my color swatch and panicked at the last minute asking the guy to add more white because I was afraid it was too dark. I came back home and painted another corner of the room a blah paper bag brown.

Chris and I decided we had to go dark and be bold, it's a big room and can handle color. So, frustrated hormonal and pregnant, I sent Chris back to the store to pick out the darker version of the one we liked. Of course he "went rogue" and bought three gallons of the above color. He convinced me it would be fine and the painter was coming the next morning and we just had to go with it.

Well it's all painted. Brown with bright white trim. Chris loves it and it is starting to grow on me, although I have to admit, at first I was less than thrilled.

Now that the awful purple kitchen is no more we are ready to move in. We still need to do a couple more necessary projects, like moving a ceiling fan and somehow wiring the cable to go in the other room (how the heck do you DO that anyway?) but we're anxious to live in our beautiful house, so those projects can wait.

Post script...Chris wants me to add that he thinks the color looks better in real life and this photo doesn't "do it justice."

13 comments:

Allison said...

Love it!

Anonymous said...

I like the contrast - very striking. I am sure when you get your furniture in the room - it will be great.

Do you have a picture of the kitchen side of the great room? I loved the layout of the kitchen area in a previous post (the dining room table is central at our house because of homework, projects, and bill paying).

I am so excited for the family to have your own BIG space for lots of hide-and-go-seek and make-believe.

Now that the weather is cold and it gets dark at 5 PM ... (hate the time change!) ... the kids are back to hide-in-seek in the dark. The primary intent is to see who can scare first! The screams of fright are the funniest. Brett's are the "girliest" hahaha - Don't tell him I told you.

Anonymous said...

I like it! I'm envious that you get to move in and feel that excitement of being in a new house! We've been in ours for 5 years and before that moved every year or two. Moving always clears out the junk and just gives you such a fresh, clean start.

Stu said...

Julie, I love it that you are such a perfectionist, but listen to Chris, it looks great (even if the photo doesn't do it justice). If you still feel it's not up to par in a few months, I'll help you repaint it next time I'm in town. Promise!
As for the cabling issue, call your cable company, they generally have an in-company electrician who can help install additional cable ports. To do it right from the get go is important, or else you'll waste money on overpriced coaxial and a ton of amplifiers, when an electrician can get those products much much cheaper. This was my experience and it beats running cable along the walls through a large house. That should run you somewhere around $300 at the most, but I'm sure it varies from house to house.
If that is not a feasible option for some reason, you can spend about $200-300 on a wireless AV transmitter which will broadcast a signal wirelessly, but is known to have quite a poor reception and can mess up WiFi signals, so make sure you get something that is returnable, because more often than not these systems are not very clear or consistent, just find what works for you. They have AV senders that range from $29 to $299, so the quality is something you do end up paying for. Hope that helps, ..pushes glasses up nose and snorts.. your dorky brother, Stu

Anonymous said...

I think it turned out great. How exciting.

sheree said...

that's totally NOT bad! I was picturing way worse. In fact, I like it! I am sure it will continue to grow on you ;)

Julie said...

Unca Stu...your electronic geekiness is showing!! lol!

Kristin said...

I love it! That's similar to the look we were going for in our living room only we have no "trim" or fireplace or willingness to spend money on nice furniture or... :)

Our color is called "potato peel" but it's more like "WET potato peel". I can't wait for you guys to move in!

Laura and Corey said...

dont worry julie! corey and i agonized over picking paint for our living room too- finally put a color called "milk chocolate" on the walls with white trim...i freaked out for a week, now i LOVE it! yours is gorgeous- dark chocolate- i could lick it off the walls!

DIANE said...

Julie! Fret no more...IT'S GORGEOUS! In fact, call me jealous because we're going to do a similar shade in our Great Room...but we're just not ready yet. I'm with Laura (licking the color off the walls!)

mom said...

I like it. With the beige couch, aqua pillows it will be striking.
By the way do not buy chocolate for me when I'm there.. like Laura said I will lick the walls.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Chris - it looks great and I can only imagine what it looks like in person! I also agree with mom - beige couch and aqua pillows will look fantastic. I might take it one step further and have the pillows have an aqua design, maybe floral? Can't wait to see it and you!!

Kyla said...

I think it is great!