John Patrick is our last baby. I say that with absolute certainty, permanent measures have been taken, there will be no more.
We've had a pretty good run during these childbearing years, passed that torch and now get to watch three incredibly lovable little people grow up from front row seats.
I think it's because I know John Patrick is my last baby, without the shadow of a doubt or possibility of a surprise, that every moment of his babyhood is that much sweeter and more poignant. Every day, I burn into my brain the muscle memory of the heavy weight of his little body fast asleep in my arms or the sound of his soft breathing during a nightly nursing, the feel of his warm, fuzzy head pressed against my cheek.
I am drinking it all in, eyes wide open and slurping up every last drop.
But when a phase passes, when a t-shirt no longer fits, I can happily pack it up and put it behind us marking "DONE" in big letters across the box.
Sunday, July 12, 2009
Every Last Drop
Posted by
Julie
at
9:26 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
It'll be so bittersweet for us. I'm glad you're setting such a great example for me to really soak it all in.
That is wonderful.
Last night as I was taking care of a sick KayTar I was thinking, "Am I going to remember this? All of these long nights caring for my sick girl? The fast rise and fall of her chest as she works to breathe, the sound of her snotty nose, the curve of her warm and red cheeks, the weight of her body across my own?" Right now it seems exhausting, but I hope that once she is grown I remember it all, the happy and peaceful times and the rough ones that we seem to have so many of, too.
You better be saving me some of that sweet stock until my child rearing begins, hopefully it won't have all decomposed by then. :)
i love your babies. they are so lucky to have you for their momma.
Very sweet.
I felt the same way with Graham - soaking it all in because he was our last. And while I am a little sad that babyhood is gone (he's nearly 2), I'm loving that I can focus on our family and making memories in this next phase of our family's evolution!
wow. That was sweet. :)
Post a Comment