In all the hustle and bustle of the first week, the worry about Athena's adaptability and my heartbreak, there was one person's feelings that were overlooked. Sure Zoe is doing fine at preschool but Athena grew up alot this week and left her sister in the dust.
Zoe is a little lost without her best friend. When she goes to preschool, Athena isn't there during outside time to run around with, on "stay at home days" there's no big sister to direct their play and, on top of all that, now Athena is defining herself as a big girl - she doesn't want to take baths with Zoe anymore and sometimes she prefers to play by herself.
It all became too much for Zoe and last night and she collapsed into my arms, real tears not tears for attention, sobbing dramatically "Athena never wants to play with me anymore."
Before Monday, these two were inseparable, but going to Kindergarten isn't something you can share with your little sister. I couldn't make it immediately better, sometimes you have to just let your little ones feel, although I did insist that Zoe join Athena in the last five minutes of her solitary bath that night (and guess who didn't want to come out once Zoe got in).
I know this new separation is just something we'll adjust to, what's new now will be normal in two weeks. Until then, I predict I'm going to be playing alot of "tea party" and "puppy" and indulging my Zoe a little bit more than usual.
Thursday, August 19, 2010
Separation Anxiety
Posted by
Julie
at
12:23 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Awww, poor little Zoe. I hope it gets easier for her.
Even though BubTar is 3 years older and clearly a much bigger kid that KayTar, they are nearly inseparable at home. They do almost everything together. She gets so sad when he sleeps away without her and then I have to step in and be her surrogate brother...so I know what you mean about tea party and puppy dogs! LOL.
Sometimes Kestian and Adelaide are like this even though they are going through everything together and in the same class. Often one (usually Adelaide) doesn't want to play with the other when the other one does. It breaks my heart when one of my kids' feelings get hurt. But I suppose, like you said, this is part of becoming big kids... I'm wondering if the 5-year difference between K&A and Fenton will make situations like this easier or harder...
That's it! I'm calling in! :)
Post a Comment