Monday, December 19, 2011

Sixth Post of Christmas

The girls are getting so excited about Christmas coming soon. Every night as I tuck them in bed, they count down the days, "Six more days until Christmas!" they said breathlessly, "only six more days!" Only six more days, g'ah, there's so much more to do!

Here's a new tradition we started this year, which I hope to keep up. The kids love mail and love all the wonderful mail we get around Christmas. So, after school pick up we've come home with bundles of card-like handwritten mail and made a snack of hot cocoa with whipped cream and candy canes for stirring. A Christmas cookie makes a nice garnish. The hot cocoa is homemade with milk, cocoa and powdered sugar and it really does taste great with candy canes, however I prefer mine mixed with heated up, leftover morning coffee - so yummy.

Then the kids get to open all the holiday mail.
"Yay, Uncle Stu!" Zoe says. "I got Bailey!" says Athena. Then they look at Jack's card, a card from a dear friend of mine from Kentucky. "Who is that?" the girls ask, looking over Jack's shoulder at Nicole's darling little two-year old girl, Taylor. "That's my friend!" Jack says confidently.

Ever since that afternoon, Nicole's card has become Jack's card, he even asked to take it with him during naptime once ("my card! mycard!") and as I closed the door I saw him staring at the picture before cuddling up with it. Now Taylor's picture is on our fridge (slightly wrinkled) where Jack can see her everyday, and Jack knows her name "That's Taylor! She's my girlfriend."

I know he doesn't really know what a "girlfriend" and that he is just using the language of his sisters, but it is so darn cute.

So, I'm wondering how old they need to be before I can set them up.

4 comments:

Laura said...

What ratio of cocoa to sugar do you use in your hot cocoa? I'm always trying to find a good recipe... Do you put chocolate syrup on top?

Stu said...

What a lovely tradition and that is definitely one of those overlooked best parts of the holidays. See you in 4 days!

Kyla said...

Christmas mail is the BEST mail!

Anonymous said...

That warms my heart. I really hope we can get them together, we should skype!!

-Nicole, aka. Taylor's mommy