May 27, 2009: A crazy day, the savages were wild. I can only hope with a little rest it will be better tomorrow.
6:33 I am awoken by the smallest female, I'll call her subject Z, when I explain to her that, in the civilized world, "morning time" does not start until 7:00 and that now is the time to rest, she lays down on the floor next to my bed. I scoop her up and snuggle with her, rubbing her hair and talking softly. A nice way to greet the morning.
7:15 Subject Z, now fully awake, successfully goes on the potty. Meanwhile her older sister, Subject A, wakes up with a dry pull-up. There is much celebration and as is tradition in this tribe, both get to pick a prize from the magical basket....rainbow slinkys.
8:11 The littlest one, subject JP wakes up hungry. While I'm feeding him Z puts her whole mouth on him arm. After a lengthy discussion about what you can and cannot bite, Z declares "You can't bite babies but you can suck on them."
8:50 An incident occurs at breakfast. It is tough to tell who is to blame.
8:55 Z brings me a calculator and tells me to speak to the pizza man
9:19 Round up the savages to dress, brush hair and find shoes
9:40 To sedate subject Z, and buy some time, I put on Diego and feed JP
9:59 A is missing and abnormally quiet. I go to investigate.
10:02 Find A in her room with crayons all over and seriously contemplate changing plans and staying home.
10:19 A, Z and JP are fastened in to the transport and en route to a hot dog party.
10:35 Arrive at hot dog party and greet friends.
10:55 Z steps on a bee, I administer first aid, ice and kisses.
11:35 A leads a pack of little girls running from tree to tree on the lawn, I take a moment to enjoy her red cheeked laughing face with hair blowing in the wind.
11:46 Z is found covered in chocolate.
12:33 A ran away from me when I told her it was time to go.
12:39 Back in transport I had to pull over to tell A to keep her hands and feet to herself.
12:45 Now at home, A must spend some time to herself for running away from me and misbehaving in the car. Z, JP and I refresh ourselves with a change of clothes, diapers and washing our hands and faces.
12:53 A and Z look through the craft area to choose an activity. They chose oversized coloring books and big crayons.
12:55 I settle down on the couch for a long nursing session with JP.
1:01 Z peculiarly spits on her big crayons. Crayons are taken away.
1:20 JP falls asleep in my arms and I put him in bed for his afternoon nap
1:30 I gather Z's woobie and milk and lay her down for a nap
1:35 Got A settled for quiet time of a Calliou DVD and chocolate milk on the couch.
1:40 Some blessed “me time”
2:00 I crash on the couch and wake up drooling
2:35 A is awake and bored. I attempt a clean up and start to plan the evening meal.
4:11 JP wakes up hungry, I change him and commence the feeding
4:30 Z stumbles awake demanding milk and Diego, as is her usual routine
5:30 The witching hour, when dinner must be cooked and all the savages go wild. A and Z have fashioned their earlier presents into weapons and lash out at each other, then on their brother. Both are admonished and toys are taken away.
5:44 I hear a tribal beat and find A & Z using JP's belly like a bongo.
6:11 JP begins his hourly feeding evening schedule
6:15 A kicking incident occurs without the subjects knowing I was observing. Subject A did not tell the absolute truth about the incident and when being sent to solitary she dodged and evaded me. The punishment is escalated and she is sent to her room until reinforcements arrive.
6:17 Crying. Lots and lots of crying.
6:32 Reinforcements arrive and they are informed of the ongoing situation. They are dispatched to release A from her imprisonment after a long talk.
6:47 Dinner is without incident.
7:15 I pass on my supervision of the savages to the adult male and feed, change and bathe the littlest one, secretly whispering to him my plans to run away with just him. He kicks in his bath and stares deep into my eyes.
8:02 I hear distant screaming as I feed JP in a reclined position on the couch.
8:11 A and Z appear freshly bathed with wet hair and cute jammies.
8:34 I am summoned to the room for "Momma Song" a snuggle and a kiss, I ask both A and Z what they are going to dream about and tell them that I love them more than words.
9:05 All is quiet. Too quiet...
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Savages: A Field Journal
Posted by
Julie
at
9:17 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
LOL! What a day!
smiles:) That was hilarious! What a great writer!!!
"commence the feeding" Joseph Conrad would be proud... And that picture of savage Z... too perfect.
That sounds so familiar - it's almost like the safari I went on 2 weeks ago. That was a great trip!! Keep up the good work, Julie!
Funny stuff...sounds like a bit of a handful that you always seem to handle with such grace.
Love your post. I'm exhausted just reading it.
that was too cute!
I'm exhausted just reading it! Very cute :)
Very col,ourful description of your day! Sounds like mine with an additional older male who provokes and encourages the misbehaving younger two . . .
What a day! I enjoyed recounting it with you. Awesome!
Post a Comment