Friday, February 26, 2010

Impossibly big

I can't believe my little girl is turning five tomorrow. I've told her for months now that when she turns five, I'm gonna cry. And I'm all teary-eyed now just thinking about it, but tomorrow I know I'll be excited for her.

Five is such a milestone. It's when you leave all things babyish behind and start living in a big kid world. One where you go to school and have best friends and a life separate from Mommy.

We're preparing for Athena's birthday bash tomorrow. Fourteen little girls in their pajamas are going to have a pretend sleepover. The girls helped me prepare the pink cupcakes last night. Totally gross, but they are not for the adults.
Athena just had to wear her new pink ruffled dress, taking great care not to spill or dirty it. And, Zoe helped in her new pink tutu - her little sister present (thanks Yiayia)!

John Patrick also got in on the action. His favorite cabinet is the one where I keep all my cookie cutters and baking dishes. Makes great sounds when you bang them together. You just have to embrace the chaos.
Athena and Zoe posed for a photo this morning in their new dresses from Yiayia. Zoe will not take off the pink tutu. She is looking impossibly big these days too.

What happened to these little girls?My keyboard is damp from the tears.

P.S. Tonight after school - we're getting hair cuts. This "growing out the bangs" thing is not working, and I can't take it anymore.

3 comments:

Mormor Helene said...

You are probably right in the middle of the sleep over! Fun idea....lively and fun, I am sure!! The girls look tall, but believe me, they are babies for quite a few years after 5! lol

Happy Birthday Athena!

Kyla said...

Awww! Five is big, but they are turning into such amazing big kids, aren't they? Happy birthday Athena.

PopPop said...

Where are the little girls? How they have grown. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Soon it will be John Patrick.