Saturday, November 17, 2007

Transitions and crud

What a week, the house looks great after scrubbing off the last remnants of "old lady" decor, but both girls (and Mimi) have been sick and to add even more chaos we seem stuck in a transitional phase with no schedule to rely on.

Zoe is not yet a walker but will just pick up and walk across the room suddenly. She's capable of doing it, even though she looks like a tipsy duck, but she isn't very secure and has not chosen it as her preferred method of transport. She falls all the time, often hitting something on the way down. I find huge welts on her forehead or cheek and she just brushes it off without a cry.

The other day Zoe sneezed and hit her forehead on the edge of the t.v. stand, really hard, and then went about her business without a sound. Both Athena and I were right next to her when it happened, Athena looked at me and said with amazement "Mommy, Zoe no cry!"...this coming from the child who sobs when the wind blows.

Athena will go a whole diaperless day without any accidents then the next day have three. So, we're never completely confident that she will inform us before she has to go and I have to carry around a couple of changes of outfits at all times. We're trying very hard to keep our emotions out of it so that we don't stress her out, but it can be a bit frustrating.

Then there's the napping, Zoe is showing signs of being able to skip her morning nap one day and then the next day she begs for it (crawls into my arms and says "NaNa" meaning "Night-Night") . Athena completely resists her afternoon nap, but obviously still needs one as without it she falls asleep at dinner. Then when she does get a good nap, she's awake (singing songs in her bed) until after 10.

This week has also brought us a full progression of the kind of crud that starts in your head and ends up as a hacking cough. Athena skipped school on Tuesday, and then was able to convince her teachers that she was still sick the next day (even though she was really quite fine). The school called us to pick her up because she was just lying in the sensory room not doing anything and telling her teachers "I sick." As soon as she got home, however, she was her normal self, full of energy, just with a little bit of a runny nose and a new, interesting understanding of how to get special attention. I kept her home the next day because the hacking cough had started and it just sounded awful. Luckily Shrek 3 came out on DVD...see the photo that captures the Shrek "stare" ?

Hopefully we'll get everyone healed for the 12 hour drive we are planning on Tuesday (how crazy are we?).

5 comments:

John, Shannon, Broderick, Camden, and Adalynn said...

I'll be praying for your sanity as we too will be taking an 11 hour drive on Tuesday-just with 3 kiddos.

~aj~ said...

I hope everyone is well before your travels next week.

It's so funny to me how 2 siblings can be so different. Zoe is one tough girl to not be bothered by all those head bumps. I think Adam is a lot more like Athena in that regard. He'll fuss over the smallest bump, but as soon as it's kissed, it's miraculously better. :)

Stu said...

I will option to ride in your truck and provide Uncle Stu entertainment for at least 4 hours of your trip. What say you?

Kyla said...

Hope everyone is feeling better soon!

12 hours? You ARE crazy. LOL. :)

Junie's Blog said...

The Shrek stare is hilarious!! Zoe is one tough cookie!! I can't believe she is walking!