Saturday, May 24, 2008

Almost Home

Home is a tenuous concept lately. We've lived like displaced people scattered all over the world. Chris in Bakersfield, our stuff en route to California and the girls and I living out of suitcases at Yiayia's house.

Although the girls love staying at Yiayia's (cookies for lunch, etc), Athena kept asking to go "home" and I did't know what to tell her. That home doesn't exist anymore? That's not very comforting.

The girls have boiled themselves down to a couple small boxes of toys and books. With all the stress of moving, I feel so guilty for disrupting them and changing all that they know, their routines, etc. Athena asked if we remembered to pack the refrigerator.

As I cuddled with Athena during quiet time today, I was reassured that I am her home. And with Chris coming to pick us up our family will be whole again soon.

Off we go tomorrow to our new home. A home we have never been to before.

3 comments:

Stu said...

Home is where the heart is, home is where your love can be seen.

I miss you guys, wish you all the best!

Kristin said...

That would be very hard, I can't imagine the cross-country part of it all.

Our house is on the market and Easton struggles with even that sometimes so I'm sure to Athena and Zoe it would be really tough.

I hope your new home feels very much like home very soon. Happy trails!

DIANE said...

Hi Julie!
Hang in there. Coming from this family that did the exact same thing 10 months ago, I know your sweet family will be just fine!

On another note, I started the Washington Liebel blog to try to keep everyone updated!

Have a great week!
Diane