Saturday, May 31, 2008

Stuff

The UPS man (aka Santa in brown shorts) came today and brought us the "essential" stuff we shipped (instead of storing) to use in our temporary housing. Primarily, favorite toys, tutus and monkey slippers, more clothes, hangers and electronic equipment (yay for wireless internet). Our little apartment is feeling less like a witness protection program situation and looking more like home with all our stuff strewn about.

However, in the absence of all this stuff the girls did pretty well entertaining themselves with their "box cars,"
and playing endless rounds of "Hide and Seek,"

and finding interesting outfits to dress themselves in.
Buried in the last box of stuff we found an errant wool scarf which we gleefully tossed in the trash.
Even with this new infusion of precious things, we still have just a small collection of stuff. We could pack our car with all our current belongings and escape into the night, if need be. It is very liberating to be boiled down to a purer essence and just have our most special treasures and the clothes we actually wear, rather than heaps of unused items, worn out clothes and junk congesting our home. I think I am going to be very selective about what gets a permanent place in our new home once we have one. Until then, we are quite content.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad it is feeling a little more like home. And the good thing about less stuff, there is less to clean. Woo hoo to that.

Sometimes I wish I could have a situation like that and be selective about what comes back in. But right now, it is too overwhelming to figure out what needs to go.

Kristin said...

Yeah, I think people should move every once in awhile, simply for the excuse to whittle down their "stuff". :)

I'm glad you're settling in nicely.

Amy said...

Isn't it amazing how much "stuff" we collect. Jeff hates to throw/give stuff away and I am quite the opposite. We are working on twindling our stuff pile. It is a constant work in progress. Luckly for you, you are at a great advantage, once yall get your new home.

Bookmarking your blog too :)
Amy (Julia and Gracie's mom )

Stu said...

HEy! My scarf! j/k

~aj~ said...

Stu made me laugh...yet again. :)

Glad you guys are getting all cozy in your new place. The girls are so cute, playing in the boxes. Big empty boxes are just the best. Really fun to decorate too Jjust an idea for a rainy day...oh wait, you're probably never going to have any rainy days in beautiful CA. Pfft.

Oh, we have the same kitchen table as you guys. :)