Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Potty Presents

Okay! And so it begins...training full force. Although Athena has gone on the potty once or twice and read books and watched videos and covered her potty seat with stickers and worn it on her head ("acclimating" is what it is called, I believe) and is familiar with all things potty related, we haven't started any real training per se. But she's a smart girl and getting bigger every day, so it's time. As recommended by my Alaine, Zoe and I went to the Dollar Store and bought a fantastic selection of "potty presents" and wrapped 'em up with little ribbons. Athena luhves presents so this will be a better bribe than just mere candy. There's a collection of Nemo characters, art supplies, a Sponge Bob watch, a fuzzy Octopus, bubbles and Play Dough galore...what incentive! Each successful potty time will be immediately rewarded by an item from the "present bag" plus lots of praise and applause. I feel as if I am preparing for battle and lining up all my weapons of positive reinforcement. Wish me luck!

Update: as of halfway through Day 1, we have two unsuccessful attempts to one successful attempt. Two presents have been distributed, the first was just to get her on the potty although it was just a 'dry run.' Day 2 did not go well, no successes. And Day 3, some crying *sigh*.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

I am wishing you good luck. This is an exciting time. And just think of the pretty panties she can wear vs a dirty diaper. How exciting.

Julie said...

Woo hoo! We had success tonight!

Anonymous said...

It is time for us to get serious too - he sits on the potty each diaper change at school and "pushes out" a little bit (since he will have just gone in his diaper).

A part of me is dreading this however, b/c it is just another sign that my baby is growing up.

Kyla said...

I hope it goes well for you! My oldest was an easy trainer, he was out of diapers by two. I think Katie is going to be a much harder sell. *lol*

Stu said...

this is intense, we should give Julie medals of honor for her brave actions!