We joined an organic farm membership association that I could not be more excited about! For only $19.95 per week, we get a 100% organic basket of freshly picked fruits and vegetables from local farms. Each week the contents change depending on whats in season. Everything is fresh and grown naturally. This is our first basket of goodies and we got spinach, lettuce, green beans, potatoes, heirloom tomatoes, grapes, onions, peppers and plums. Probably would have spent around $20 buying all these items at a store, maybe a little more for the organic, but I love that it's so fresh and supports the local farms. They also include recipes, meal ideas and information about the benefits of "seasonal eating."
The more I read about non-organic foods the more I resolve to buy organic for my family. Children eat more dairy, fruits and vegetables than adults and their brains and bodies are still developing. The pesticides and chemicals used to make non-organic veggies perfectly round and colorful have been found in the urine of school age children. And don't get me started on the growth hormones, antibiotics and estrogen found in dairy and meat products! I hate to think of all that stuff coursing through my girls' little growing bodies.
There are more chemicals in our food now than ever in history - much more than the food I ate growing up. And people wonder why there is a greater incidence of autism, childhood cancers and obesity? This organic basket represents the way my parents ate as children, local produce from local farmers. And it makes me really happy!
(getting off my soap box now)
Saturday, October 11, 2008
Going Green
Posted by
Julie
at
10:31 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Julie...do you remember anything like that here in Lexington. I'll have to look into that. Sounds like a good idea and would save us some shopping and help us eat better.
Corey and I have been dying to join an organic CSA (community supported agriculture)! They are a lil too expenisve for us so we are trying to get Aunt Barb on the bandwagon with us to share a weekly basket! Until then, we are officially jealous!
My dad used to get veggies from a local farmer every week like that. He paid a fee for the year and then once a week would go pick up the goods. I don't know if that farmer still does it or not.
But it was nice (esp. for him since he is a great cook - I really need to take cooking classes so I know what to do with veggies besides steam them).
I am so, so jealous. We don't have anything like that near us ... I can't even find a good farmer's market. Thank your lucky stars!!!
this is so cool! I was thinking about doing something similar in my area! I will have to look into it...looks SO yummy!
My parents just got a bunch like this, too, and we'll just steal some of it from them. Our budget is too tight to do it all the time.
Luckily (ha! ha!) KayTar only eats veggies from a jar, and BubTar ONLY eats corn (veggie-wise). My children are not rainbow eaters. LOL.
Do the local farms support Uncles-Towing-Children-In-High-Heat workers?
looks yummy!!!
Post a Comment