We've got a few scary slash exciting dates coming up this month.
First of all, Athena is scheduled for surgery on October 13th. She needs to have her ear tubes taken out. When she was just one year old she had ear tube surgery to stop her constant ear infections. They worked like a charm, however did not (like 90% of ear tubes) fall out on their own.
Now that we have a fantastic ped here, I'm realising how inattentive our ped in NY was. She looked in Athena's ears many, many times and said nothing. Our ped here, looked once, sent her to an ENT to clean the impacted wax that was probably affecting her hearing and discovered that one still-in-place ear tube was now embedded in her ear drum. Her ear drum, on one side, has grown around the tube. Fun.
So now she'll need surgery to take out both tubes and do a skin graft on the side where the tube in embedded. It's outpatient, she'll have the surgery in the morning and be home by the afternoon, but it's scary nonetheless.
Also, the ENT wants to take out her adenoids. A "since we're in there and she's under we might as well" kind of approach. Her adenoids are a little bit swollen, hence her snoring, and may obstruct the flow of fluid in her ears causing future ear infections (and more tubes) or they'll just get smaller on their own. I'm still on the fence about this one. On one hand, I don't want her to have another ear tube surgery at a later date and on the other hand, I hate to put her through the pain of recovery for what may be an unnecessary surgery. So, we're still not sure what we're going to do about that. Any friends and family (cousin Laura I'm looking at you) feel free to weigh in.
On a lighter note, we have THE ultrasound scheduled for next Thursday (October 9th). So check back that day, we will hopefully have significant news about whether the baby has a cleft and if we're having a boy or girl. That's going to be a BIG day. I get a little teary just thinking about, but then again, I'm really hormonal. The appointment is not until 4:00 (PST) so you East Coast folks are going to have to wait until evening for news. If you can't wait, call me!
Then, Zoe's 2nd birthday is coming up on October 20th! We're planning a fun event, maybe even a pool party (it's still hot here). Mimi is visiting for the week to help take care of Zoe while Chris and I are with Athena in surgery and she'll also help plan the party. Mimi is the official family event planner. I can't believe my baby is almost two.
And finally, if all goes well, we will close on our house October 31st and move in November 1. We are counting the days as we're done with our little apartment and can't wait to really settle in. Athena speaks longingly of toys and things she had at "my other home" and looks forward to being reunited with her stuff.
That's the latest.
(BTW - the lead photo is apropos of nothing...it's just Athena being a "Super Princess")
Thursday, October 2, 2008
October!
Posted by
Julie
at
9:54 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
Aww, much love to you girls (and of course Chris!) I have to say that I've never heard anyone that I've talked to about adenoids say that they regret it. It's always the "why didn't we do this sooner?" comment. I'm so glad your new doctor was so diligent! Hugs to everyone! =)
WOW! That's quite a load this month!
If the ped recommends the surgery, I'd do it. (so says the mom who is currently agonizing over her own set of surgical decisions) One time under anesthesia is better than two, which is why we're going to the combo. K's getting her adenoids out with her tonsils and g-button placement.
wow! What a busy month for your family!
I agree that if the ped. suggests the surgery, go for it. Everything will go smoothly, and then you'll wonder why you ever questioned it ;)
Good luck at your ultrasound. Can't wait to hear if the new bean is a prince or a princess!
Y'all are BUSY! I'd do it on the adenoids if she's already going to be under for the tube removal. Lainey has trouble sleeping and her sleep study revealed mild apnea - the fix is adenoid removal. If she doesn't outgrow it soon, we're doing the surgery. Nerve-racking, but will be worth it in the long run I think.
Can't wait to find out boy/girl on the 9th! Will be thinking of you then.
You sure have a full month ahead. I can't wait to find out the sex of your little one. I personally am hoping for a boy for ya. I love mine.
Poor Athena, what a hard decision about the other surgery. I am so glad you have a observant dr now. Totally reminds me of the days with Kyla and Katie.
That is a lot in one month - will say a prayer for Athena and her surgery!
I cannot believe you're nearly far enough along to find out the gender!!! Ack! I'm so exicted for you!
And wow, what a big big month...a birthday party...surgery. Eek!
I would absolutely NOT get her adenoids out. Anytime you hear a 'while we are in there' argument, red flags should go off. Unnecessary surgery is never good, and despite what some doctors may think, adenoids do have a real function in the body (they aren't accidentally there).
Honestly, though you like your pediatrician, if my pediatrician suggested something like that, I would be looking around for a new one.
It's the ENT who is suggesting the adenoid surgery, not my ped. I actually haven't consulted my ped, which is something I ought to do...hmmm.
Wow, busy month indeed.
I really have no idea about the adenoid issue. I can see both sides and I know that has to be a hard decision to make.
Fun, fun, fun about the pool party! Another benefit to living in sunny CA!
I'm super excited about your ultrasound. We've got a couple big things on the 9th and I'm adding your U/S to the list so I will keep it in my thoughts and prayers.
I'm with Damon on not getting the adenoids out. Of course, I don't know Athena's whole history here, so I can only guess, but unless she has a real history of problems directly caused by her adenoids, I would leave them alone. Is it possible that the swelling in the adenoids right now has any connection to why she is going to have her tubes removed (mild infection maybe), and the swelling will go down after the tube is removed? Frankly I think doctors are a little to quick to remove tonsils and adenoids when there really is not pressing reason other than "while I'm there" which is not a good enough reason. I'm sure you are thinking hard about this and won't just get the surgery because it's convenient.
Super Princess has finally discovered her powers! Parents shall do her every desire and she will be adored by all who lay eyes on her! Good luck with the surgery, I'm sure she'll be a trooper.
My oldest had the exact same thing happen to his tubes. Not to scare you, but it did leave scar tissue on his ear drum and has caused irreversible hearing loss.
He also had his adenoids (and tonsils) taken out when they removed the tube. It was definitely worth it and his snoring improved tremendously. He began sleeping so much better as soon as he recovered from the surgery. He was about 3 1/2 when this all happened. The tubes were put in when he was 13 months old. The old pediatrician, too, didn't say anything about it but once we moved and got a new ped. he was automatically concerned and referred us to an ENT (he also continued to have frequent ear infections and now at 7 years old is on his second set of tubes). He wasn't even cleft affected.
Best of luck in your decision. I know it is hard to make especially considering all that she has already been through. If it were me, I would do it all at once since she is already going to be put under. I have also heard that it is easier when they are younger and if she is snoring badly then they will probably end up having to eventually come out.
I can't wait to see baby pics. I know you are probably already beside yourself waiting for an answer. Know I am praying for you during this crazy time.
I will be thinking and praying for yall on THE u/s day.
I cant imagine how nervous you are. That is a busy month for sure. I hope everything goes well.
Hey Julie,
Thanks for checking in with us, we are excited for our girl!
Sounds like you guys have a lot going on. Hang in there. I'm sure you will make the right decision for Athena, you are her mommy, you know what's best.
Can't wait for the u/s results . . . exciting and nerve wracking, I'm sure!!!
Oops, just saw it's a LATE in the day appointment. Darn. You can ignore my impatient and nosey email(s). :)
Post a Comment